In more than a decade of recruiting, I’ve had the opportunity to work with some amazing people across industries. Thinking about some of the most memorable candidates made me jot down a list of the characteristics that these individuals share.
- It goes without saying that they are really good at what they do and are passionate about it! They effectively communicate what they do and why.
- There is a synergistic partnership with sparkle candidates as they understand the value of a good relationship with their recruiter.
- These candidates are honest and direct about what they are looking for – WHATEVER their drivers might be (salary, benefits, title, type of work, location, environment/culture to name just a few). Knowing your drivers for seeking a new opportunity saves immeasurable time and frustration on both ends. Obviously, situations may change. The sparkle candidates keep their recruiter apprised of those changes.
- Sparkle candidates understand that their recruiter knows exactly what a future employer is looking for, far more than just what the job description reads. These candidates are not afraid to tweak or even restructure their resume for a specific position to show their best self, and trust their recruiter can help them achieve this. They know that there are sometimes intangibles which will make them the most desirable candidate.
- They show up! That sounds ridiculous, but not everyone jumps on a scheduled phone interview or even shows up in person to meet the hiring manager and their (potential) future colleagues! Ideal candidates do their homework. They read up on the company, understand their product, review the job description, and are able to talk about how their background and experience are an excellent fit for the company’s needs. They are interviewing the company to ensure this is the right fit for them as much as the company is interviewing them.
- Negotiations are a breeze with these candidates because they have been transparent and there are typically no surprises.
- When they make the decision to accept a position, sparkle candidates are eager and excited to learn all they can and to make an impact with their new company.
- These individuals offer a great window into their new organization, which helps their recruiter continue to provide the best candidates for that company as well as bringing in new talent that the candidate will want to work with.
- Great candidates stay in touch and send referrals. When they are ready for a change, they reach out knowing that their recruiter will work their hardest to find them another awesome opportunity.
Stay close to your recruiter. They want to help you succeed in your job search and future! Keep sparkling!
About Steffanie McLaughlin | Sr. Technical Recruiter
Steffanie McLaughlin joined HireNetworks in early 2016 as a Senior Technical Recruiter. She has been recruiting for over 10 years and loves to help connect smart people with more fulfilling careers.
HireNetworks offers nationwide recruiting, staffing, and executive search services. HireNetworks fills positions for skills ranging from technology and finance to sales and research. Celebrating 14 years of success this year, HireNetworks is set apart by their experienced, senior recruiting team and reputation in the industry. HireNetworks is ranked top 5 of “Best Places to Work” and has been listed “Top Technical Recruiting Firm in the Triangle” every year since 2001. For the past two years, HireNetworks has been ranked in the INC5000 Fastest Growing Companies and recently named Best Employers in North Carolina again for 2017.
Clients use HireNetworks because of our vast network and collaborative approach to under-standing their culture, company and staffing needs.